Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mildred Pierce

The 8th song on the LP Goo is called Mildred Pierce.

I was never a big fan of the album Goo. Some friends find that hard to believe. Earlier today I decided to listen to the album in order to finish out the rest of this blog. The band really has me up until this song.

I have always felt that Goo sounded too slick and not dirty enough for Sonic Youth. As I have stated in previous posts, most notably Dirty Boots, the band was making compromises in order to please the hand that was about to feed them. Goo is complete with a few potential hit singles. This song comes off as filler. I never thought I would say it, but that is how I honestly feel. "Mildred Pierce" is a simple three chord punk rock song that has only two words. The song clocks in at 2:13 and leaves something to be desired.

"Mildred Pierce is also cleverly placed in the end sequence of the album. I like to think that it acted like the dividing line between two sides of the band. The first side of the LP comes off as a pop record but the second side is pure avant noise rock.

I still like to think the album is overproduced for a reason. Once again, please refer to Dirty Boots.

For some reason, I always seem to put this song on SY mixes.

This song is in standard tuning and has never been performed live, although, I could be wrong.

No comments: